Wednesday 16 July 2008

Hairy Situations

My husband and I were married in a beautiful ceremony in the US. But one wedding wasn't good enough for us. We are having a second ceremony in London to celebrate his Indian heritage. Both ceremonies join us as husband and wife, but they couldn't be more different. I am plagued by normal feelings of self doubt when it comes to our Jain ceremony. Will I understand the mahraj? Will I perform the blessings correctly? Will I successfully prevent my sari from slipping off? One worry I didn't realize I should have is the inadequacy of my hair. I'd been letting it grow for the past year, but when I had a "consultation" with the my stylist she told me it would not do. I was to visit the hair store on Turnpike Lane for fake hair.

I travelled to said shop and told them I needed fake hair. They tried to sell me a wig. I insisted that this would be an overabundance of fake hair. We settled on artificial hair extensions. They are wrapped in plastic and a very somber looking black woman stares out from the package. I was assured they will blend in with my underperforming real hair and, once styled, no one will be any the wiser to my artificial coiffe.

No comments: