Monday 15 February 2010

Happy New Year 2010

This New Year's we packed up the car...
...and headed to Pine Grove Furnace State Park near Mt. Holly, PA for some rest and relaxation at Tex's family's cabin.
The drive was long and traffic ridden. We were in a sketchy part of the state, I mean, who among us has ever heard of a meat raffle? We had to be careful.
Luckily, we had Mr. Happy keeping an eye out for us. Believe it or not, he was not the most oddly dressed person at this gas station.
He has become very attached to his cowboy hat.
Tex's family thought we were crazy for visiting the cabin in the middle of winter.

I soon discovered why. It was FREEZING. I mean really, really cold. It was around 20F and I thought we should think about getting back in the car and going home.
It was warmer ouside.
I spent the first five hours of the trip sitting IN the fireplace.
We kept our mind off the cold by holding a beer tasting using my Christmas gift of beers from around the world.
The winner? Kingfisher from India!
We awoke on New Year's Eve day to a fresh blanket of snow.
I took a walk through the woods with the love birds.
And Mr. Happy...who looked like he lost his horse. And his posse.
We threw snowballs at...no one.
We seemed to be about the only people at the park. I guess most of the cabins don't have indoor bathrooms. That would keep me away.
Believe it or not, we saw a couple swimming in the frozen lake! I guess they can't read. Or fully grasp the concept of seasons.
On New Year's Eve, Mr. Happy was introduced to an American tradition - s'mores! I couldn't believe he'd never had one.
For those of you who don't know (and I guess there are some of you out there) a s'more consists of a toasted marshmallow stuck between two graham grackers and a piece of Hershey bar. The melted chocolatey goodness is so delicious you're gonna want s'more!
The verdict.
He liked it! Of course...
After a few rounds of Apples to Apples we looked at our watch and it was midnight!
We toasted our New Year's snowfriend. But it was cold so we ran back inside awfully quick.
Bring it on 2010!

1 comment:

Thailand Tracey said...

Brrrrrr..... and I thought it was cold in Texas! Tell Hamel that we love the hat. He's ready to come visit Texas!!!!