Saturday 5 February 2011

Fiesta Terible?

I know you all need a catch up, but at the moment I'm in dire straights!

I'm hosting a dinner party for members of the Oxford Cambridge Society of Malaysia. Not only that...they are scoring me! It's modeled after the UK TV program Come Dine with Me.

I was supposed to go in two weeks, but Mr. (makes me  not so) Happy, volunteered that we would shift things up and go tonight! Easier said than done. This week is Chinese New Year which is like Christmas around KL. The shops are closed. The grocery stores that are open don't have their regular food because the delivery people are off on holiday. My cleaner is on holiday. My flower shop is closed. The list goes on.

I tried out a couple of recipes. All flops. My stuffed chicken breasts had no flavor. My mango salsa has no mango. My black bean soup is white!

I attempted Jim Lahey's famous no-knead bread recipe. The recipe looked sooo easy. It claims a four year old child could bake this bread. In fact, I referred to a website for the recipe where the bloggeractually posted photos of her four-year-old son baking the bread. My dough was runny and my bread came out of the oven slightly larger than a single dinner roll.

I wanted to use our wedding silver, but none of the stores carry polish. My candles (which are hollow inside and have string wicks) are waaaay too small for my candle holders.

Mr. Happy hates our new tablecloth. We don't have enough seats for 8 people. Or plates. Or glasses. Or silverware.

Please send some positive vibes my way. I need them!

No comments: