Thursday 12 March 2009

Landing in KL

Hellllllllllo Kuala Lumpur, or KL to those of us in the know. KL is the capital city of Malaysia and it is fantastic. Whenever I stepped off the plane in Dubai I felt like I was taking a giant step back into the past. In KL, I feel like I'm leaping into the future. The city is vibrant, the people are nice - they smile, laugh, and are helpful. It wasn't until I arrived here that I realized I never heard people laughing in Dubai. A lot of people move to Dubai out of necessity. They are earning money to send back home or to create a nest egg. There's very little sense of community and most people can't wait to get home. In KL, people are here because they love it. I love it!


But I have no time to run through the streets with my arms opened wide. We must get down to work and my job is to try and find an apartment. I spend days apartment hunting. My husband and I don't want a place that will be a hassle, so condo living is for us. We are hoping to take lots of long weekends and breaks so we can explore this part of the world. We don't want a big place we have to clean or a garden we need to look after. I see lovely flats in the suburbs of Bangsar and Mont Kiara, but it's obvious pretty quickly that it's necessary to have a car to get around. We want to stick to mass transit, so I limit my search to KLCC - Kuala Lumpur City Centre. There's a lot to choose from. The economic downturn has reached all the way to Malaysia and a lot of expats have left or have found their housing budget slashed. That said, after living in NYC, London, and Dubai the rent here is peanuts! You can get a nice 2 bedroom apartment in the suburbs with a pool, gym, and tennis court for around RM 3000. The exchange rate at the moment is RM 3.7 for $1 US.

The apartments in the centre of the city are a little smaller and the amenities aren't quite as nice for the price, but we compromise. We take a place in the Parkview. The location is excellent. We can walk everywhere. It's a little noisy due to some nightclubs nearby, but our landlord Mrs. Chong is working to soundproof our place.



Just outside our door is a row of hawker stands. You can fill up on a buffet lunch for RM4. That's less than $1.10!! The food in Malaysia is unbelievably delicious and I plan eat it all!

No comments: