Thursday 12 March 2009

Missing In Action In Dubai

I've neglected to post for a number of months which is a shame because they have been very eventful months indeed. My husband, who I married twice this past summer, and I moved to Dubai in August. We were there for seven months and a lot of things happened -- of which I've made no written record. We are now living in Kuala Lumpur where I've vowed to become a more regular blogger. Let me give you a recap of life in Dubai.





I am not Muslim, and women do not have to wear burkhas. Dubai is considered liberal for the Middle East. On trips to surrounding areas, I did make sure my knees and shoulders were covered. During a desert safari the staff encouraged my friend and me to get down in traditional garb we call this pose "Arab Homies".

Dubai is a land that celebrates its past.


But it's also a land where petrol is cheap and cars are not taxed, so must people opt to drive about town rather than going for a camel caravan.
The food is opulent.






And so is the jewelry. Got Gold?


But it's also a very classist society. It's difficult to live there and enjoy the luxuries offered, when you're affronted by the worker exploitation that takes place. Legal due process is still in its infancy, and no matter how long you've lived there you will never be able to become a citizen.





I'm glad I lived there for a while, but Dubai is not a place that I would ever want to call home. I'm really excited about setting up house in KL! Like the UAE, Malaysia is a Muslim country, but it has a completely different energy to it!

No comments: