Wednesday 20 May 2009

Me-like-a Malacca

Just about the time I fell ill with a stray hair, I took a road trip with my friends the Baker and Don’t Mess with Texas (DMWT) to Malacca, a fishing town on the Straights of Malacca.


No, my friends are real people not cardboard cutouts!!


The Baker & DMWTS - Real live people
The city is large, but we were focused on the Old Town where there is a strong Dutch influence as evidenced by this windmill.






















Malacca is famous for its chopped chicken and rice balls. Delish. I could have eaten these balls all day long.

I forced the Baker to mooo-ve down to her knees and pose for this, so I thought I better post it. The cow turned out to be a fake.
They also have great museums, historical homes, temples, beaches, and shopping.

This is none of those things. It is a highly decorated bike!
St Paul's Church...the first Christian church in Malaysia. It was built by the Portuguese in 1521.

The Cheng Hoon Teng Temple is the oldest Chinese temple in Malaysia. It was built in 1646.

We saved the beach for our next trip, and went straight for the shopping.











Malacca is famous for nonya shoes. These are hand crafted with glass beads and Malacca is the only place in the world where you can buy them. DMWT picked up a pair. I wanted to think about it. Hopefully, I will get back to the one place in the world I can buy them now that I've made up my mind.

No glasses! (She's not wearing contacts, we asked.)

Malacca is better suited for a 2 or 3 day trip, but we made the most of our afternoon!

No comments: