Wednesday 13 October 2010

Back In Bangkok

Hands down, there is no better city in SE Asia - perhaps the world!!!! - than Bangkok!

It has it all - fabulous food, exciting sights, shopping bargains of a lifetime, friendly people, and to-die-for massages. It's a little slice of heaven.

Mere days before we were to head out on a six week trip back to the UK and US we decided to squeeze in a few days in Bangkok with the Baker and her betrothed.

We kicked off our first day by hopping on the Chao Phraya Boat - always buy a single ticket for this, not the all day tourist pass for 150 bhat. It is much, much cheaper! Mr. Happy and I have already seen many of Bangkok's main temples, but we'd yet to visit Wat Arun. It's on the west bank of the river and you'll need to take a second ferry to cross over (don't worry. it's a short wait and the price is 3bhat - pennies!)

Wat Arun is covered in shells and pieces of broken porcelain that had been carried on Chinese trading ships as ballast.

It's very beautiful and I'm sorry that I've never made the time to see it before.

But...

Holy High Top, Batman....it is steep!

I have a love hate relationship with heights. The view was stunning, but I was a little reluctant to climb down. One false step ='s certain death (I have a wholly hate-hate relationship with death).

We then crossed the river again and visited the Bangkok Flower Market.

If I lived here, I would have fresh flowers every day.

Four dozen roses for $1 US!!!!! Mr.Happy treated the Baker and I to a bountiful bouquet each!

After our climb, we visited Naj for one of their amazing lunch specials (call to reserve a spot and tell them you want to order off the set menu - 300bhat for 4 courses, best deal in Bangkok and you must know to ask for it!)  Some strong tom yum martinis were in order.

Next up....Chinatown!

A former pastry school classmate of the Baker's, Brock Eats, is living in Thailand and hosting food tour adventures! He took us on an amazing adventure on the winding streets of  Bangkok's Chinatown.

Can you guess what these are???

Fried fish bladders. They really blow up in hot oil!

Mr. Food Tour's SO speaks fluent Thai. Oh happy day! I wanted to break out into applause everytime he opened his mouth! With his expertise we were really able to enjoy....

Dim Sum!!!! My favorite (well, one of my favorites - but one of my favorite, favorites!)

That night, Mr. Happy posed with a special friend at Cabbages and Condoms.


The next morning Mr. Happy and I split from the Baker, et al in order to do some shopping. We were  heading home to FOUR weddings and Chatuchak puts any wedding registry to shame. We worked up quite a sweat during our high stakes negotiations so we cooled off with the best ice cream ever.

I'm not a big fan of desiccated coconut, but when it's the fresh stuff...keep it coming!

The sprinkle of peanuts countered the sweet cream in a palate perfect way.  And serving it inside the coconut??? It's so simple, so posh, and so green. All for less than $1 US. Did I mention I love Bangkok?

Our last night in town we got a little crazy and went to bed...


Good food, good drinks, and good music. A splendid way to end a great trip!


No comments: