Wednesday 9 November 2011

je suis en train de manger

That's right. I'm eating, the French way, right here in KL.

While Mr. Happy attended to biz-ness outta town, I said au revoir and went to dinner with friends at Natalie's Gourmet Studio. I'd heard about this place for a year or so and was anxious to try it. Natalie is only open for dinner twice a month so reservations get booked up fast. The menu changes each month so regulars get some variety.  Here were the eats we enjoyed.

First course:
king prawn ravioli, cardamom flavors, melted & crispy leeks

marinated duck liver in Asian flavors, green lentils and herb salad. This is what I wish I ordered!


salmon mille-feuille, sea shell and tomato dressing - this is what i did order. sorry to say, a little bland.




Main course:

Veal cheek blanquette, braised portobello and sweetbreads in tempura, carrot mille-feuille. This is what I wanted, but I'm afraid of sweet breads. I love sweets and I adore bread, but put the two of them together and you get some sadistic chef's cruel idea of a joke.



Scallops three ways: truffle, carapccio, roasted with artichoke puree.


Poule au Pot with Foie Gras. Once again - my choice, and it was a bad choice. It doesn't look exciting. It didn't taste exciting.




The desserts: 

I did order this choco-decadence. Finally a winner! 



 The macaroons were tres magnifique!


Between courses:
take one -

take two


third time is a charm...


Most of Natalie's ingredients are imported from France.

I've heard naysayers complain that the dishes here are "all foam" but I thought the portions were a nice size.

Unfortunately, I think I was here on an off month. My first course and main could have used a little more - flavor. The dessert was delicious. But my friends who are regulars thought the night of our visit the food wasn't up to its usual standard. It was good - but not great.

I also wasn't a big fan of the high chairs and tables in a fine dining establishment. I wasn't wowed, but I would give it another shot!




By the way, the boy in the photo is Broken Arm - the one I told you got hurt mountain biking in my last post. He better watch out for that butter knife!

No comments: