Saturday 12 November 2011

A Walk on the Wild Side

Sometimes living in a Muslim country can be challenging. Sure there are Western social stigmas  and politically polarizing issues but, more importantly, eating pork, drinkin' liquor, and owning a dog are seen as just plain wrong.

Luckily, I live in Malaysia - a beautiful, liberal country that tries to be welcoming to all appetites - for both faith and dinner. When I lived in Dubai it was helluv difficult to get my hands on some bacon and it was illegal to have booze in my apartment. Not so here! So on a recent Saturday afternoon, my friends and I embraced our freedom and indulged in our heathen ways.

We started off with lunch at Vintry. A rib joint. A pork rib joint. It was seriously non-halal. Don't believe me? Just look at the menu.

What did I tell you?

Then we headed to the finest wine tasting at KL. It's in a Chinese owned shop just off Bukit Bintang. I've been here twice and I actually don't remember the name. But they have at least 25 bottles of wine to try and you do the pouring yourself. (hence the reason I can't remember the shop's name).


I've made quite a splash here because I was able to identify a savignon blanc blindfolded. If only someone had a Rubik's cube I could really knock their socks off.


At any rate, the owner is very friendly and the prices are very reasonable. Next time you are in KL, I definitely recommend you buy a bottle of wine at this shop. It's across the street from McDonald's. You can't miss it.

Oh yeah. And after I ate my ribs and drank my wine I bought this magazine.


I'm sorry. How can you not love that face?

No comments: