Monday 24 August 2009

A Wales of a Time

After our amazing trip to Norway, Mr. Happy & I touched down in Stansted and immediately set off for Wales!

I’ve never been to Wales before, but I’d always wanted to go. My first name is Welsh and means “protector of the sea”. Last year, when Mr. Happy and I tied the knot, two of my oldest friends gave us an adventure gift certificate as a wedding gift. The adventure turned out to be a coasteering trip in Wales! Unfortunately, Mr. Happy and I left the UK soon after the wedding so we were only just now getting the chance to use the great gift.

Mr. Happy’s parents joined us on our road trip.

The countryside in Wales was beautiful.

Especially if you like sheep.

MIL doesn’t. She stayed in the car and phoned for help.

We reached the idyllic Welsh town of St. David’s mid-morning. Actually it’s not a town. It’s a city. The smallest city in the UK.In the UK, an area is considered a “city” if it has a cathedral. St. David’s has a cathedral.

It’s located on the coast – obviously, if you want to go coasteering. Coasteering is an activity where you follow the coastline and jump off rocks and do a bit of hiking.

It sounded fun.

It sounded safe.

Boy was I wrong.

Oh my f*ing Lord!

Coasteering turned out to be a terrifying combination of technical mountain climbing, frightening cliff diving, and swimming for your life in dark, rough waters.

I can’t even imagine how someone came up with the idea for the activity let alone thought it was a good idea to market it to the public.

Everyone in our group was tired, shaking, and bleeding by the midway point. The rocks we climbed where covered in razor sharp coral that cut our vulnerable bodies to ribbons! We dove from heights of 9 meters that sent shock waves up our spines and left us gasping for breath. The waves knocked us into sharp rocks, pummeling our bodies and our souls.

Not only do I now believe my childhood friends hate me. But they also want me to die.

Tired, swollen, and carrying less blood in our bodies than three hours earlier, Mr. Happy and I returned to base camp. Alive.

This was a truly a once in a lifetime experience. We will never, ever do it again. Never.

(Note: To my ex-childhood friends. Please disregard the thank you note I mailed you last summer.)

Mr. Happy and I collapsed in the back of his parents’ car and they drove us to Newport where we met up with the SIL and BIL to celebrate the SIL’s 30th.

We definitely have to improve our game when it comes to using the camera’s self timer.

Newport wasn’t as nice as St. David’s, but we tried to make the most of it. The next day we hit up the biggest nearby attraction.

The Big Pit.

It sounded fascinating. We had to wait in a line for almost an hour.

It was a coal museum and, as I waited, I poked fun at the exhibits.

Boy oh boy did I underestimate the Big Pit.

It was the BEST museum I’ve ever visited!

It was run by former miners and they take you down into the mine, through the shafts, into tiny, dark, claustrophobic corridors and give you quite the education.

Did you know horses worked in coal mines? They spent their entire life underground, in the dark, hauling coal.

This place, was really great. We weren’t allowed to bring any cameras or electrical devices down in case they caused an explosion, so you’ll have to go see it for yourself!

Now that we covered Wales top to bottom, literally, it’s time to head back to London!

No comments: