Tuesday 14 April 2009

Formula One

The Formula 1 has come to KL! I've never been to a Grand Prix, but the tv ads promise a fun day in the sun followed by Jamiroquai (the London, acid jazz band. Napoleon Dynamite jams to their song "Canned Heat" in the flick.)
I'm pretty excited. Friends agree to give us a lift from KL Sentral out to the stadium at 2:30. The flag drops at 5. Mr. Happy and I pick up some crazy Vienna bagels at KLCC and a bottle of Thai whiskey hooch at Cold Storage.


We mix the whiskey with some orange and pear juice and make a powerful concoction I call - Formula 2. Then we head out to the race.
The highway is more aptly described as a parking lot. The drive should take one hour TOPS, but instead we are in the car for almost three. Methinks it could have something to do with the fact that Malaysia employs dummies (literally) to guide the traffic rather than real live human beings. Maybe all the road workers wanted to go to the race?



We arrive a little after the start. Rather than shelling out the bucks for grandstand seats, we are in the "covered lawn" area. It's right next to the action and suits me fine.




I try and take a few photos of the cars, but they are too fast for me.


Finally, I get the hang of it...sort of. I want to cheer for Lewis Hamilton, but I can't make out which car is his. I yell for all the reds.


Then the rain begins.

You can basically set your watch to this rain. It happens every day. They should have raced earlier, but the start was delayed so the race could be broadcast on European TV. It gets muddy fast on the grass and people can't walk.



I rescue this couple from a filthy fate.




Finally, the rain stops, but they've decided to end the race. Boo Hiss! They crown Benjamin (no) Jensen Button the winner. Mr. Happy, is not living up to his name.


Luckily, we still have Jamiroquai to look forward to and rain doesn't scare him like these race car ninnies.

We are out of Formula 2 so we grab some food to refuel and head to the concert stage.


I don't really want to watch an opening act, but these guys, Heavenly Seven, are pretty wicked. It's an acapella group that vocalizes the sound of instruments. They are GOOD. They remind me of that guy on Police Academy, only even better (imagine that), and times seven.



Jamiroquai comes on and is great.

We dance and sing and then depart.

No comments: