Thursday 16 July 2009

The KL Finale


Our flight from Phuket back to KL gets delayed. We don’t arrive back to the apartment until the early hours of the morning. “It’s three,” the mother announces accusingly, as if I am personally guilty of conspiring with the forces of time to deprive her of her beauty rest.

But it is I who must pay most dearly. I have to arise at seven in order to secure a place in line for tickets to visit the Twin Towers sky bridge.

When the ticket office opens, I grab my passes and arrive back at the apartment around 9:30 to find everyone sound asleep. When they finally reanimate, we were treated to a fashion show. Mr. Happy and the father's new bespoke suits arrived via delivery from Bangkok. They are wrinkled by GQ worthy.

We then head off to the Twin Tower exhibit. Everyone dons the chic 3D glasses. Gone are the days of the cardboard frame with one green and one red lens.



The view from the sky bridge is stunning, but the second tower blocks my own apartment so we can’t spot it.

We take a look at the small Petronas Museum. The father has his height analyzed.

I wonder when we will be able to use this information.

The trip to dizzying heights leaves everyone famished. My father fears he may collapse from hunger. So I hustle them to a nearby Chinese temple that serves a vegetarian buffet lunch.

It’s very popular, but the parents are skeptical.

The do enjoy it.

After that, we take a stroll through KLCC Park. This is where Mr. Happy and I jog if we wake up early enough and can beat the heat.

The parents contemplate the many satisfying sights, foods, and adventures they’ve enjoyed over the past two weeks in Asia.

Now it’s time to go home and pack! The mother thinks she can squeeze in one quick haircut before she boards her plane. So I hustle her off to the beauty salon. She’s worried she’ll have trouble communicating with her hairstylist. This is a constant worry for her because back home she gets her hair cut by a deaf woman.

Before.

The r-e-l-a-x-i-n-g head massage…

After!

I love it but she thinks she looks like a young Haley Mills. She just needs to get used to it.


We hustle over to Hakka where the father and Mr. Happy wait for us.


They are surprised to discover that a young Haley Mills is joining us for dinner.

Dinner is great. I insist on one order of the pig belly which is my favorite. I have to convince my parents that pig belly and pig stomach are two different things.



The four of us enjoy our last bites of Asian fare together under the glow of the Twin Towers.
Now it’s time to hustle back to the apartment and call for a cab to the airport.

I can’t believe their trip is over. It went by much too fast! (As evidenced by the amount of times I used the word "hustle" in this post!)


Goodbye!

We miss you!

No comments: